The start of handbalancing research ...
A lot of people ask where the weight should be on your hands during a handstand. Here's a new train of research I'm on to answer that and other questions. Here's the dynamic pressure under one of my hands during a handstand, slowed to about 40% (40 Hz) of the sampling rate of the pressure pad. The black dot in the center represents the center of pressure, which naturally shifts as weight is shifted to and from my fingertips as I'm balancing; I wasn't trying to be super still when balancing, as I wanted to see a bit of change in the pressure distribution.
I tell students that the weight should be in the palms, but the control should be in the fingers/thumb, and the numbers from this pilot data support this idea. The palm carries about 75% of the weight, and the fingers carry the other 25% of the weight. But, the amount of variation of the pressure in the fingers/thumb, assessed by the coefficient of variation (standard deviation over the mean), is about twice that of the palm. Note that the pressure distribution and these numbers will likely depend on the angle of the hands, wrist flexibility, tenting of the fingers, etc., but this is some promising pilot data.
So in layman's terms, the palm carries the majority of the weight, but the pressure changes under the fingers/thumb are proportionally greater and are much more dynamic than under the palm.
At this point, I am trying to secure funding to support this research. If you know of any organizations that would support acrobatic/circus research and may be able to help, please contact me.
Thanks to Ste. Anne's Hospital (Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue, QC) for letting me use their pressure platform system.